Thursday, August 2nd, 2018 by Barbara Zorzy
If you are considering a roof replacement, you may wonder what the difference is between regular shingles and architectural shingles. Architectural shingles are a premium grade of asphalt shingle roofing. They are thicker, and feature a distinctive, textured appearance. Also known as dimensional or laminate shingles, architectural shingles were originally introduced in the 1970s by manufacturers who wanted to create a higher-end product for consumers.Regular roof shingles are known as 3-tab due to the three tabs/flaps with ¼-inch grooves between each one. They are placed in flat, even rows, as compared with the textured, layered look of architectural shingles. Regular asphalt shingles generally last up to 20 years, while architectural shingles can last up to 30 years. Some of the premium grade architectural shingles can last up to 40 years!
With architectural shingles you have more choices in terms of colors and patterns. Plus, they resist weather and wind better than standard shingles, thanks in part to a heavier granule covering.
These benefits come at a price, of course. You’ll pay about 25 percent more for architectural shingles. But with a 50 percent longer lifespan and warranty to match, as well as a better-looking roof, you come out ahead!
Here at A&A Services, we install Owens Corning architectural shingles that feature intense, vibrant color and high contrast. We offer a variety of types of shingles, from solar reflecting architectural shingles in lighter colors to laminated extra-large dramatic slate shape to deep contrast.
There are many reasons to use architectural shingles:
- Available in a wide array of color, texture and pattern choices
- Customizable to fit your unique tastes
- Three-dimensional pattern can mimic the look of more expensive slate, cedar shake or tile roofs.
- Depth and texture lend a high-quality appearance
- No maintenance hassles
- Distinctive look enhances a home’s beauty and curb appeal
- Lends a sense of age and character and a timeless appeal
- High-performance shingles
- Pay for themselves over time thanks to longevity and durability
- Durable, sturdy and heavier than 3-tab shingles
- Able to withstand up to 120 mph winds
- Better fire resistance than standard composition shingles
- Easy to cut and fit into corners and crevices.
- Will remain cooler than traditional asphalt shingles through deflecting more light and providing more insulation.
Contact A&A Services
Eager to know more about the architectural shingles we install and repair? Contact us at 844-385-9365. We have been serving Salem, Peabody, Marblehead and the North Shore in Massachusetts since 1982, offering the highest quality home improvement services available, including roof repair, installation and replacement.